Job Title: BD & Sales Team Leader (Director or higher level)
About the Role
Our client is seeking a self-driven, entrepreneurial-minded, and proactive leader to support its Strategic Solutions organization managing the business development and sales team and processes. Our client has over 30 years’ experience providing mission critical solutions to US Government customers across Intelligence Community, Department of Defense, and Federal-Civilian Agencies either directly or via industry partnerships. As part of our client’s larger organization, their business is continually evolving. They are focused on helping their customers envision and implement software, hardware, services, and hybrid-solutions across broad technical domains such as geospatial-intelligence and visualization; all-hazards mitigation; surveying, scanning, and LiDAR tools and sensors; configuration management, predictive maintenance, and information technology services; and operational technology cybersecurity, to name a few. Reporting directly to the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO), they need a proven leader who doesn’t simply ‘report the news’, but instead actively leads the business development and sales team and processes to maximize opportunity pipeline across broad solution domains, translating opportunities into business growth in line with our client’s company strategies.
Leadership, organization, creativity, and results matter as much as years of experience. Our client is looking for someone who can revise and implement overarching business development and sales processes across a matrixed organization while also able to tailor specific campaigns depending on the solution, customer, and go-to-market strategy. Because of our client’s ever-evolving business, qualified pipeline health is a key performance measure—they need a leader who is excellent at empowering a team to identify, vet, and qualify new opportunities, ultimately leading to business growth.
Requirements & Qualifications
· Team management expertise. Provide leadership, management, and mentorship to our client’s business development and sales team.
· Opportunity pipeline leadership. Responsible for leading the building, evolution, and strategic prosecution of an Opportunity Pipeline with the goal of top-line and bottom-line financial growth.
· Account management ability. Has or can gain develop deep knowledge of multiple customer spaces, a diverse set of our client’s Federal solutions, and strong relationships with key decisionmakers, while leading the business development and sales team in specific go-to market strategies.
· Ability to lead Team to generate qualified leads. Evaluate and establish account coverage models, aligning business development and sales team members to accounts based on Business Unit goals, as necessary. Lead team to establish priorities across numerous pursuits and opportunities, evolving new lead processes to vet opportunities. Understands Federal contracting, but also non-traditional funding sources such as grants, OTAs, BAAs, and WERXs, as well as working with industry partners and systems integrators to bring solutions to market.
· Provide BD and sales campaign and capture oversight. Assist team with developing business development strategies and related sales campaigns for market segments, end-user customers, and industry partners. As needed, and in coordination with the PMO, develop specific capture strategies for specific bid opportunities.
· Liaison with Business Unit Leadership. As a matrixed organization, regular communication and interaction with Business Unit leaders, PMO leadership, and back-office functions is critical in ensuring the business development and sales team is effective in translating opportunities to business growth.
· Provide CRM oversight, leadership, and recommendations. Provide oversight to BD and sales team for Salesforce opportunity recording, updating, and reporting to include working with support elements to improve the interoperability and usability of the database across our client’s organization. This oversight includes relation to updating Salesforce instances of our partner corporate divisions. Support and provide oversight to the team for various price lists, quoting mechanisms, and all topics surrounding software and hardware quotes.
· Provide C-Suite Level briefings. Provide briefings, reporting, metrics, and other summaries, as needed, to the CSO and other executive management with regards to pipeline health, bookings updates, Salesforce reporting, and other data requests. This includes managing and leading organization-wide Business Development Monthly Review brief.
· Various administrative team management. Organize regular check-ins, meetings, and other reviews with the business development and sales team to include weekly sales pipeline and new leads reviews with Business Unit leaders; develop, conduct, and hold annual BD and sales kick-off(s); conduct annual performance and merit recommendations and reviews; revise/establish quota targets and associated compensative plans and review quarterly commission statements and resolve discrepancies, as applicable.
Education, Training & Experience
· At least 10 years’ experience working to support US Department of Defense, Intelligence Community, and/or Federal Civilian agencies in a business development, sales, and/or capture management role; Profit and loss management experience is desired.
o Proven experience, attitude, and personality can be a substitute for years of experience – our client is seeking the right person for the position and company – not just someone with a certain number of years of work experience
· Proven track record with business development/sales planning, opportunity identification, market differentiator identification, and competitor assessments in the context of opportunity healthy pipeline development and translating pipeline into business growth
· Proven experience transitioning opportunities throughout the Capture Lifecycle and ability to interface with Contracts, Proposals, Pricing, and Marketing support, as needed
· Expert-level experience with Salesforce, Costpoint, price proposals, and price quoting/discounting tools, or relevant experience
· Ability to provide, lead, and/or generate summaries, briefings, metrics, and reports, as needed, to C-Suite Level Executives
· Demonstrated leadership experience managing a remote workforce and generating results from team(s)
· Hardware, Software or SaaS, and Services business development and sales experience required
· Experience with US Government Federal contracting and acquisition processes
· Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree desired